General Settings are used to:
- Verify web site ownership with Google and Bing,
- Submit your XML Sitemap to Google,
- Provide additional information and options for Google’s Knowledge Graph and Sitelinks Search Box.
In the WordPress Administration interface, click on WP Simple SEO > General
Register and Verify Site
Connecting WP Simple SEO to your Google account allows WP Simple SEO to submit your web site, verify ownership and submit your XML sitemap to Google. Google will then be able to crawl / index your site, making it possible for your site to appear on Google’s search results.
Three options are displayed, with actions if required:
- Site Registered: If your site has been registered with Google’s Search Console, this will say Yes. If not, click the Register Site with Google button.
- Ownership Verified: If your site’s ownership has been verified with Google’s Search Console, this will say Yes. If not, click the Verify Site Ownership with Google button.
- Sitemap Submitted: If your site’s XML sitemap has been submitted to Google’s Search Console, this will say Yes. If not, click the Submit Sitemap to Google button.
When visitors search for your web site, business or personal name, Google may display information in its Knowledge Graph, which is a card displayed on the right hand side of Google’s search results:
To help Google with this information, enter the following details:
- Entity Type: Choose whether you are a company or a person.
- Name: Your company name, or personal name, depending on the Entity Type chosen above.
- Click Select Image
- Select an existing image, and click Select
- Alternatively, upload the image from your computer by clicking on Upload Files and then Select Files, before clicking the Select button
- Click Select Image
Sitelinks Search Box
Google may display a search box within your search result for certain branded and navigation queries on Google:
You can choose to enable or disable this by using the Yes / No dropdown option.
Submitting your web site, verifying ownership and submitting your XML sitemap to Bing is a manual process. There are several steps, and it’s worth having WP Simple SEO and Bing Webmaster Tools open in separate tabs in your web browser.
To submit your site to Bing:
- Visit http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster
- Sign In or Register
- In the My Sites box, enter your WordPress web site’s URL, and click Add
- On the next screen, enter the XML sitemap URL. You’ll find this on the Sitemap section of the WP Simple SEO Plugin.
- Click Add
- Copy the Meta Tag in Option 2: Copy and paste a <meta> tag in your default webpage. Keep this screen open, as we’ll come back to it in a minute.
- Switch to WP Simple SEO > General > Bing Tag, and paste the meta tag into the Meta Verification text input, and click Save.
- Switch back to the Bing Webmaster Tools in step 6, and click Verify
Bing will now be able to crawl / index your site, making it possible for your site to appear on Bing’s search results.